From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 07:48:01 -0800
Herbert,

There could be a lot of things causing this problem.  Typically (at least on
10mb ethernet) large packets can be an issue.  You could reduce the packet
size.  You would do this by a registry change.  Respond off-list if you
would like instructions.

One question that is glaring here is what protocol you are using.  Are you
running a server?  What server OS and what client?  Using IPX/SPX, collision
can occur if you are not specifying the frame type.  With IP, I am not so
sure.  Also, are you running CAT5 cable, BNC, or what?  Another cause of
packet collision can be interference such as EMF (electro magnetic
frequency) or RF (radio frequency).  Are the cables paralleling any power
lines or do you have any other devices near the hub that might be putting
out these kinds of signals.  Keep in mind that these would have to be pretty
strong signals if you are running shielded cable for them to cause any
interference.

If you are running a peer-to-peer with IP, one of the other listers is going
to need to help here.  I am not as versed in IP as I would like to be
(though I am learning - need it for my MSCE).  Try and answer some of my
questions and we might be able to give you a more difinitive answer.
Thanks.

Kyle