From:
Derek McBride <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 2003 19:19:46 -0500
I have had a sporadic problem for 3 months on this system. (700MHZ Celeron 370, 384Mb RAM, 20GBt HD, CD-ROM, CD-RW:-Win98SE)
One, or other, or both of the cd drives disappear from the My Computer panel.
If I wriggled the IDE cables, they came back, so I replaced the cables with the round sort.
All was ok for a week or two, then, LO! my E drive wasn't there.
I switched off and LO!, the E drive had gone, but the D drive was back.  I wiggled the new cables and LO! they are both back.

Do IDE sockets give trouble?  Never heard of it.

Is it the mother board or the BIOS?  It might not be the cables, but the re-starts that alter something.

This isn't the first time I have come to a forum with this problem but everybody thought it was the cables.

Any more help out there.

Derek McBride

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml