From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jan 2006 20:57:38 -0800
The easiest way is to reformat your hard drive and then reinstall XP. Then
use Windows Update to install any critical updates. If you are doing this
for security purposes, be aware that files can be extracted from a
reformatted drive by someone who has the knowledge and inclination. A good
"wipe" is needed to give a reasonable level of security although even that
can be compromised.

If you don't want to do a reinstall of XP, you can do a reasonable cleaning
by using the add/remove function in Control Panel to remove all programs
except those that are part of the OS. Then use
start/programs/accessories/system tools/disk cleanup. There will still be
some left over folders and files that are not part of the OS as well as some
registry entries. You could use Windows Explorer to go through the drive and
delete known left behind folders. But, you will never clean the drive as
well as a fresh install of XP following a reformat.

Tom Mayer