From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 19:37:50 -0600
I am not happy with my last explanation, so am going to try to be clearer.

First of all, not all power supplies have a switch on the back.  For the
ones that do, the switch is sort of a master switch that disconnects the
whole unit from the current source.  Maybe you can turn it off when you go
on vacation or during an electrical storm.  I don't know what else it is
good for.

When the switch is on, or when there is no switch, the power supply is live,
but is not supplying full voltage to all of its wires.  Some voltage is
there, as you can see on motherboards with led's on them, which are lit up
even when the computer is not running.

The on/off switch on the computer case front is not actually a switch so
much as it is a push-button, like a doorbell.  When you push it, it tells
the motherboard to boot up, and when you hold it down, (depending on the
cmos setting) it tells the motherboard to shut the computer down.  The
motherboard actually controls the power supply, not the case switch.

So, the power supply can be plugged in and the switch on, but the fan is not
spinning, because it is alive but mostly hibernating.

When the motherboard tells the power supply to start up, it now powers up
its main power circuits, but only if there is a load connected to it, a hard
drive, for example.  Othewise, it will still just sit there, appearing dead.
If it powers up, then the fan starts spinning.

You can run a crude, outside-the-box test of the power supply using a paper
clip and hard drive.  Directions are at:

http://www.pcpower.com/support/ATX_troubleshoot.htm

This is not a sure-fire test as to whether or not  the power supply is good.
I have had a power supply pass this test, but still not work.  But, if the
power supply does not pass this test, then it is surely defective.

Be very careful when testing the power supply.  While the voltages are low,
there can always be a high-voltage short....

Dean Kukral