From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 14:15:26 -0600
From: Dave Gillett :Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] SCSI HAC Installation

> On 6 Jan 00, at 20:29, Paul A. Shippert wrote:
>
> > In short, are there any problems I should anticipate installing an
> > Adaptec 2930U SCSI Host Adapter Card with no SCSI devices attached
> > to it in the above machine?  Or, should I have my client bring home
> > the Jaz drive for the installation procedure, in order to
> > facilitate the installation?
>
>   It's not exactly the same drive, but my experience with SCSI Zip
> drives has been that they tend not to be visible to Windows 95/98
> unless there is actually a disk in the drive when the computer is
> booted.
>
> David G

I have both a SCSI external Zip and Jaz drive attached to a 2940U2 Adaptec
controller and have no problems with the Zip or Jaz drives being recognized
without disks in the drives.  I have not had to boot the computer with a
disk in the drive for the drives to be recognized.  The Guest utility
assigns them a drive letter whether there is a disk in the drive or not as
long as the drive is attached to the computer and recognized by the SCSI
adapter at boot.  If you do not have the Jaz drive connected your client
will have to install the drivers and software for the Jaz drive to be
recognized by the system.  I disconnect the Jaz drive regularly to move
larger files from one computer to another.   The Zip drive was attached to a
Adaptec 2940UW and an AdvanSys controller at different times with the same
results, I did not have to have a disk in the computer at boot to have the
drive recognized in either Win95 or Win 98.  When it was attached to the
AdvanSys controller only a scanner and a zip drive were attached to that
controller.  When I take the Jaz drive off of the computer the drive letters
above the Jaz drive all move down one letter but when I re-attach it to the
system it receives the same drive letter as before which is "I" in my
system.  I have a Zip drive, a CDRom and CDRW above the Jaz Drive.  In
"Device Manager" I have set the drive letter for the Jaz to "I" so that when
it is re-attached it will keep the same drive letter.  If you want the same
drive letter for all of the drives above the Jaz you can set the drive
letters in "Device Manager" for all drives located at letters higher then
your Jaz.

Mary Wolden

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org