From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 2006 15:18:23 -0700
On 4 Aug 2006 at 20:24, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Hello to all:
> I am now looking into buying an LCD monitor. I have a few questions.
> How will it compare to a CRT monitor?
> Do I need one that has a DVI connection?
> Size?
> I heard that some people have a problem with dead pixels.
> Is this a big problem?
>
> Thanks

  Early LCD monitors were rarely as bright as CRTs, but most current ones
are plenty bright enough.  If you do digital photo work, you may need to
calibrate it, but otherwise you needn't worry about the difference.  I don't
think my new Hyundai L90D+ uses as much electricity (or wastes as much of it
as heat!) as my old CRT did.

  Most current models include both DVI(?) and VGA connectors; if your
current video card is VGA, your next one might be DVI, so both is a
reasonable choice.  Many also include speakers, and some include a couple of
USB jacks as well.  A/V incputs and TV tuners used to be fairly common, but
have become quite scarce.

  Big is good; big can get expensive.  17" is quite reasonable and 19" is
not out of the question.

  I have not seen one with a dead pixel in some time.

David Gillett

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads