From:
Joel Rosenblatt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 16:29:00 EST
We have been using firewire drives from maxtor for video storage.  You
can get firewire cards for a PC then plug in the 80 gig drives .. the
cards are around $35 and the drives are less than $400.  They seem to
work just fine on win2000 and winnt .. and the drives will also work on
macs.

Joel Rosenblatt

>I am thinking about purchasing an external hard drive for my home =
>computer, primarily to store video clips and photos.  I have a few =
>questions to ask before I decide to make the purchase.
>
>(1)   Is it easy to transfer files from the primary hard drive (Drive 1) =
>to the external hard drive, or visa versa?
>(2)   Does the external hard drive require an operating system in order to =
>receive files from the primary hard drive?
>(3)   What is the best port on the computer in which to connect the =
>external drive?
>(4)   Will the external hard drive require a cooling fan?
>(5)   Is it easy to share both hard drives on the same monitor?   For =
>example, can the monitor screen be partitioned to receive the OS from the =
>external drive on one-half and the OS from the primary hard drive, on the =
>other half?=20
>(6)  Do you have any suggestions on good/inexpensive external hard drive =
>products?

Joel Rosenblatt - [log in to unmask] (Columbia University)
Mgr VM Systems and Team OS/2 member - http://www.cc.columbia.edu/~joel
612 W 115th St.,N.Y. N.Y. 10025,711 WATSON,(212) 854-3033

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml