From:
"Paul A. Shippert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 01:04:40 -0400
Greetings all--
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jose E. Dominguez" <[log in to unmask]>

> "Tommy Holmes, Jr." wrote:
>
> > We have encountered the darnest problem connecting one computer on our LAN
> > to the internet using either InterNet Explorer or Netscape.  We continue to
> > get a message that there is a problem with the Win98 windows extensions.
> >
> > We first suspected a network hardware problem.  The connection light remains
> > lit on the NIC.  Computer can "see" and "browse" other stations on the LAN.
> > Computer can Ping other stations and the router and can print to network HP
> > Printer Server so physical connection looks good.  Still, we uninstalled and
> > reinstalled the NIC.  It passed mnfgr's diagnostic testing.  No conflict
> > showing in Device Manager.  Substitute computer plugged into the same
> > connection with the same T-base 2 patch cable connects through to ISP so
> > appears that the physical connection is good to the hub and from the hub to
> > the router to the ISP.
> >
> > So we suspected an OS network configuration problem.  We ran Win98 File
> > Checker and did not get an indication of file corruption.  Used add/remove
> > programs to reinstall and reconfigure IE to connect through LAN.
> > Uninstalled all protocols, powered off, and then reinstalled NetBEUI for MS
> > LAN, IPX/SPX for HP Print Server & TCP/IP for internet.  Confirmed that each
> > protocol is bound to 3Com NIC.  UserName is unique and Work Group name is
> > identical.  We confirmed that station has a good TCP/IP address from DHCP.
> > Confirmed Gateway address & DNS addresses from ISP.  WINS is disabled.
> >
> > That's it;  we are at a loss.  Has anyone an idea why this computer cannot
> > connect to the internet or a suggestion how we might proceed?
>
> Looks like you have eliminated the hardware as the culprit. That being said, was
> there ever a proxy client installed on that PC? If so, uninstall it and see if
> you can connect.

You may also want to check to see if there is a file called hosts (no extension)
in the C:\Windows folder.  On our school district's WAN/LAN there was a time
where this file was necessary to point to certain IP addresses.  It has subsequently
become necessary to ensure that such a file DOES NOT exist, or the computer
will not connect to the Internet.  (There are a couple of sample host files installed
by default - lmhosts.sam and hosts.sam. With these extensions, they are just
samples and will not affect connectivity.)

If there is a hosts file present on the problem computer, but not on the substitute
computer referred to, then that is probably the problem.  Move the hosts file to
another location outside the C:\Windows folder and see if the computer will connect.

HTH,

Paul A. Shippert

---

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: