From:
Larry Fisk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 20:40:02 -0700
Myra;

The best way I have found to do both scandisk and defrag
is to boot the computer in "safe mode"
Shut down the computer....then  restart watching the screen while it boots.
Press the Esc key if the windows splash screen comes up.
When it says starting window 9x immediately hold down the F5 function key.
You must be quick. If that fails press F8 the next time you reboot
and you will get a boot menu. Select option - 3 "safe mode". Both scandisk
and defrag should run
though completely. in this mode as a minimum of apps are running in the
background
that could possibly change the drive contents and restart scandisk/defrag.
I also shut off the screen saver, don't know if that's necessary, but I do
it .
Don't know if that will help the "windows cannot access part of this drive"
problem, but it's worth a try.