From:
Tony Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Aug 2005 20:04:40 -0700
To quote from the Microsoft OEM System Builder Website:

**********
Transferring Ownership
The end user license agreement (EULA) is granted to the end user by the
System Builder and relates to the license on the PC with which it was
originally distributed. Because the System Builder is required to
support the license on that original PC, a System Builder can not
support a license that has been moved from a PC they manufactured to one
that they did not. This is one of the key reasons why an OEM System
Builder license can’t be transferred. To put it simply, OEM software is
tied to the original computer system on which it was installed.
However, the entire PC may be transferred to another end user along with
the software license rights. When transferring the PC to the new end
user the original software media, manuals (if applicable) and
Certificate of Authenticity (COA) must be included. It is also advisable
to include the original purchase invoice or receipt. The original end
user cannot keep any copies of the software.
**********

So, yes...if your computer that had the OEM version is destroyed, then
you do not have the right to install that OS on a new system.
Microsoft is clear that the OEM version(s) of XP are tied to the
motherboard.  If a motherboard is defective and replaced with an
identical motherboard under warranty, then no new OS license is
required.  If you put a different motherboard in, then a new license
*would* be required.
I would agree that this is harsh on Microsoft's part, but it IS what
they intended :(

Tony Mayer