From:
Gary Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Apr 2006 12:55:06 -0300
hi...my computer is two years old and has the usual bells and whistles...i'm using win xp pro...the computer has usb2.0 but i'm not getting usb2.0 speeds...when i transfer a 700mb avi file from the computer to a usb external hard drive it takes 6-8 minutes to complete the transfer(it takes a matter of seconds on a friends computer)...it takes about the same amount of time to go back from the external to the computer...i inserted the Cd that came with the computer so as to install the
usb2.0 drivers and was told "the latest SiS USB2.0 driver included in service pack 1 has already been installed on your system,please rescan for hardware changes in device manager(which i did)...to try to resolve the issue i decided to install a usb2.0 PCI card...i tried two different cards and got the following message when installing both  "Cannot install this hardware.There was a problem installing this hardware Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller.An error occured during the installation of this device.THE SERVICE DATABASE IS LOCKED"
...now i'm not exactly a rookie with using a computer but this alert is completely new to me...does anyone know what this means,what could cause it,and exactly what i have to do to resolve the problem...like how does a person UNLOCK the service database...i assume if this could be done that the usb2.0 speeds would be restored and i wouldnt have need for the usb2.0 pci card...i may also ask if a format and reinstall of windows would solve the problem...any help would be most welcome...thanks a bunch...Gary.