From:
"Walter R. Worth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 11:58:44 -0800
On Thursday, January 13, 2000 12:12 AM,  "Conor McNessa"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> This is wonderful. I've been looking for a PC-building list for some three
> years now, while messing around with ancient computers to give away, and
> rebuilding my own computer. Now I find PC-Build just in time for this
> project!

> Yes! The most important things for me - since this computer is being built
> by a group of friends including children and young people - are:
>
> * Stability
> * Ease of building
> * Tech support for non-geeks
> * A good manual that can be understood by non-geeks (and here the Abit
> scored: I downloaded the manual as a .pdf and it's reasonably ungeeky)
> * Price
> * International availability

<snip>

> I may, and I do. What *does* this mean? I'm slowly
> beginning to learn. PCI slots are what you plug IDE cables into, right?
ISA
> is "industry standard architecture", which isn't standard any more and
which
> you don't plug anything into? AGP means "accelerated graphics port" and is
> place you stick a video card (?) to make it work better?

snip> What are PCI components, please?

> Overclocking is not important to me. What I want to build, with my young
> friends, is a reasonably priced, good computer which will also be good for
> playing the games they want to play.
>
> Do they have good tech support internationally, by email? This  is
important
> for my group.
>

> JumperFree is the Asus configuration menu? Does the manual tell you how to
> set it?
>
> Sorry to be so ignorant of computer building. I have actually rebuilt my
own
> computer, so I know where all the parts go, and so on - but I don't know
the
> terminology, so choosing a motherboard is proving extremely difficult. -

Since you are coming in on the ground floor and I don't really want to
confuse you <g>, I'm going to recommend some web sites where you can:

(1) learn basic computer component terminology

(2) some step-by-step instructions and

(3) some vendor web sites that you can visit and read more info.

http://www.verinet.com/pc/ , http://www.sysopt.com/sphelp.html , and
http://www.ugeek.com/htbc/glanbui.htm

Abit's web site, http://www.esc-ca.com/motherboards/abit/index.html

Asus web site, http://www.asus.com/.

I would be of the humble opinion that "you" should be able to obtain assist
"internationally" through the distributors/vendors of their respective
products as well as e-mail.  This info is generally somewhere in the
products manual or on their web site, so I don't want to go too far out on a
limb to say so <g>.

In addition to the above info, the list owners of this list have put
together a lot of useful info as well.  The URL for that is
http://nospin.org/services.html.
HTH. :-)

Walter R. Worth