From:
"Frank R. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 2003 17:35:11 -0400
I built a machine for my kid (and for myself, he-he-he), so
now my wife is jealous.

Anyway, she wants a new machine, but would like one
tailored to video editing.  She uses home-rolled software,
as well as things like adobe premier.  She believes her
needs are big disk, fast disk, fast processor, etc.  We
don't know whether a fast graphics card would matter
to her.

I would like to build her a machine a similar as possible
to what we already have (maintenance, swap parts, etc.).

Current configurations:

   motherboard:        MSI-875P Neo-LSR
   processor:            Intel P4 2.8 Ghz
   memory:              1 gb cosair
   scsi controller:      LSI 203320-R
   hard drive:            seagate st336753lw (15000 rpm, 36.8 gb)

   video card:

      my kid got the ati radeon 9800
      I inherited a creative labs nvidia geforce2
      my other kid has a pny nvidia geforce4 mx (verto?)

So I would like to build something similar for my wife.
I suppose my concerns are (fast) disk space, video card,
processor and memory.

Any video gods out there with recommendations?  I think
the MSI motherboard comes with onboard raid and sata.
Would it make sense to use a faster scsi hard-drive for the
system (generally my preference), and one of the onboard
controller for big video storage (multiple 100's gb?)?

How about processor speed?

Are there benefits for additional ram for video processing?

Thanks for any advice on this.

(Footnote:  concerning the 2-1/2 machines already built:
so far, no complaints.  They have w2k installs with recent
sp's, and seem to offer a good balance of performance.
I don't have an opinion about reliability or durability, but
so far, so good.)

     Frank R.Brown
     Frank.R.Brown@MailAndNews

                     visit our download web page at: