From:
Fran Bott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Aug 2005 13:29:12 -0400
First things first -

It is an AMD Processor. Check to see if it could be overheating. Pull
the heatsink and see if there are any burn marks under it. Then pull the
fan off the heatsink and clean out the dust and dirt. I once had one
overheating and  the fan and heatsink looked ok, but when I pulled the
fan there was an inch of dirt and lint caked in the heatsink.

The next 2 possibilities are the video card and memory. First I would
replace the video card and try to boot the computer - my guess is this
will probably solve the problem as it sound like the video card is bad -
and that can be an intermittent problem.

Memory can also cause this. If it was not the video, next I would pull
the memory and try a different compatible stick to see if that will
alleviate the problem.

If none of this helps, then it is possible that it some other hardware
issue, be it hard drive, motherboard, etc. and will more diagnosing. I
hope you find it is one of the above.

Fran

Date:    Sat, 6 Aug 2005 19:49:37 GMT
From:    "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Hibernating computer

I need help in diagnosing a computer that "dies" at irregular
intervals.  It stays dead for various periods of time, sometimes hours,
sometimes several days up to a week.  During that time it is just is
inoperative.  When it's turned on,with one exception, the various
indicator light pop on and off but nothing results.  The only (maybe)
significant clue I have is that if the "A" drive light blinks on and off
then I know that it going to boot up,  When that light doesn't blink
then I know that I'll just have to turn it off and wait for the machine
to "wake up" again - as I said this can be days literally.
The machine is a Compaq w. a 900 MHz Athelon processor, running Windows
Me, with 256 Mb RAM.  I have installed Spybot, Avast, Adaware, and until
a few months ago had Nortons System Work 2003 installed with annual
updates.  But after reading here about problems with Norton I
"uninstalled" it, but a SEARCH on Symantec still brings up a number of
"hits".
I'd sure appreciate advice on how to deal with this aggravation and am
willing to purchase a commercial diagnostic software package if that
will point me to the problem.  The machine at home is now in this
hibernating state so I'm having to write this using a machine at our
local Sr. Citizen's Center.  I just cannot understand why this happens
and then suddenly, just like magic, it's OK again - until the next episode.
Lewis Emerson