Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 2010 17:44:44 -0700
Some laptops don't generate enough power to run an external drive, and
some drives have multiple USB connectors for this purpose.
I don't like the smaller drives as they are prone to heat-related
problems and often get physical abuse as they are moved around.
I've had the best reliability from 3.5" drives mounted in quality metal
cases that you assemble yourself. Some of these pre-assembled drives
have cheap cases and/or proprietary connectors that prevent you from
replacing the drive in the event of failure.
All these drives fail eventually so any backup plan that relies on disk
drives should be supplemented with optical or cloud storage.