From:
Lance Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jun 1998 23:15:46 +0900
Savvy Listonians,

A few months ago, I started getting failed handshakes from my ISP.  Usually
I don't get more than one, but sometimes two or three before successfully
connecting.  The only symptom is a weird change in pitch during the handshake,
and, of course, a failed connection.  Prior to a few months ago, I connected
virtually first time every time without annoyance.  (But here in Japan, when the
other guy picks up the phone, you get charged, so I'd like to knock off the
financial leakage.)

My ISP swears up and down that they don't have any dead modems, and that
I'm the only one reporting this problem.  Of course, I have no way of verifying
the veracity of their claim.  :(  My ISP has grown enormously over the past
couple of years . . .

So, what to you more knowledgeable types hypothesize?  :))
(USR Sportster 28.8 internal)

Tia,

Lance