From:
Hal Trachtenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2001 06:21:06 -0400
Hi All!

I am new to the list and have a question about adding a CD burner to my
computer.  I have a Plus Data system that is about 5 years old and runs off
of Windows 95.  I would like to add a CD burner to my system, but I am not
very knowledge when it comes to this and have several questions.

1.  Can I add an internal CD burner to this system?  It looks like there is
an empty bay where I might be able to add something.  If not, what is
involved in adding an external CD burner?

2.  Would I need to upgrade to a newer version of Windows to run a CD
burner?

3.  If I add a CD burner to my system and make no other changes, will it
make my system slow down to a snail's pace?

Thank you!

Well, at least you have a free bay to install it, but that will be the least
of your problems. The CD burner won't slow your system down, but chances are
that your system will be too slow to use the burner to it's full potential,
if at all, and if you try to you will end up with many ruined CDs that their
only use will be a coffee cup coaster. The problem is not Windows, it is the
system that you have, CPU, Motherboard, and amount of RAM installed. As a
matter of fact, it would have been more useful if you would have posted that
information rather than the version of Windows you are using. Seeing that
your system is 5 years old, and assuming you have not upgraded it since, you
can try to install the burner, but only burn CDs at the slowest possible
speed, 1X  (150Kb/s). Anyway, before you buy the burner, check on the box
under system requirements to see if it will work on your system and on
Windows 95, or ask the salesperson about it. If you buy it make sure that
you are able to return it if it happens that you cannot use a CD burner on
your system.

Hal T

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>