From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 20:11:28 -0500
I too remember this discussion but I don't recall, nor have I ever
encountered, a utility program that will effect any monitor. Video adapter
manufacturers used to ship such programs when multi-sync monitors were rare.
Changing the horizontal and vertical scan rates could have an effect on
screen size.  If your monitors are so old, they may be running at
unsupported scan (refresh) rates.  You can adjust this somewhat in win9x, or
you can get a video adapter and driver that works better with your monitor.
If you are still interested in a utility, I would start with the chipset
manufacturer of your video adapter.  Trident and S3 used to support some
pretty good ones for their now obsolete cards.   If your screen size is
reduced in size in dos, your chances are not good.  The text video mode in
dos, while sometimes not centered (another common problem) is vanilla enough
that a small size would hint strongly to a worn out monitor.  I still use,
by the way, a 15 inch monitor that will only work in win98 at 800x600.
Changing resolution to 640x480 and using the optimal refresh rate causes the
desktop to shrink to little more than half the available display size.
Tom Turak