From:
Oleg Panchenko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 10:10:56 +0200
Hello Mark,
thanks for replay, you are right, that's an old ASUS mobo with
Intel 440 HX with p133 overclocked to 166...
and it doesnt support USB2.0 by internal USB ports.
Oleg

Friday, March 14, 2003, 7:31:55 AM, you wrote:
>  I recently installed external USB 2.0 card VIA TD USB20 6220 witch
>  greatly supports USB 2.0. It was w/o any drivers supplied so I had
>  to download it from via website, istalled it and got everything
>  worked OK.  The reason to buy add-on card with additional USB ports
>  was that I have 6 devices for USB ports (my mobo has only two
>  built in).
>  Oleg

Assuming your motherboard had a USB2 port, then you didn't need to buy a
USB2 PCI card, a simple hub would have given you additional ports. PCI USB2
cards are a great addition to an older PC that only supports USB 1.1, but
you will take a 20 percent performance hit on USB 2 devices, using a PCI,
card as opposed to an on-board chipset. This is because of the delays
involved in the inherent sharing of the PCI Bus. So put your fastest
devices, such as  an external drive, on the motherboard USB 2 ports.

My 20 percent figure, came from a  PCMAG article, which recently
benchmarked and quantified this difference.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group
http://freepctech.com
--
Best regards,
 Oleg                            mailto:[log in to unmask]

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com