From:
Stan Zaske <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jun 1998 11:33:15 -0500
        Yes you will regain the usage of the IRQ's associated with the mouse and
keyboard. If the mouse is a PS/2, you will regain the use of IRQ 12. If the
mouse is serial connected, you will regain IRQ's 3 or 4.
        However, *if* you don't have USB keyboard support in the BIOS there will be
no keyboard during boot. I take this to mean that you will have to use a
regular keyboard everytime you wish to get into the BIOS to tweak it. In
other words, until the DOS real mode driver for the keyboard is loaded you
will be stuck without. Win95 OSR2.1/WIN98 will load their own driver for the
keyboard so there will be no problems there.
        One additional caveat is that I doubt there has ever been a component
produced that will take advantage of the keyboards IRQ 1. So if you do go
with the USB keyboard IRQ 1 will sit there unused until some manufacturer
comes along to take advantage of it. Have I missed anything?

-Stan