From:
Luan Nguyen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 09:32:28 +0700
I have just installed a new UDMA Quantum FB 4.0Gb on my computer, CMOS
detected that it was a 4.0Gb hdd and installed it in LBA mode. every thing
seemed ok, however it takes me abt 1 min to benchmark the drive with NU98,
and the point was only 49 (my old Quantum 2.0Gb no UDMA, got more than 50
with a very short benchmark time) I don't know what was wrong since the
drive work pretty good (except the problem in benchmark). yesterday, i have
found that all the information abt my hdd in CMOS are completely different
from the number provided on the disk (C=14### - i forgot :),H=9,S=63) . i
change the number in CMOS to the number provided be Quantum anh the computer
still work , but not boot from hdd,it's like there is nothing on the hdd . I
reenter the old number and it works
ok again. The two information of the factor and the current informations
both are detected by CMOS(the current is i LBA mode and the provided is in
NORMAL mode or AUTO mode). I think i have to run fdisk again to use the hdd
with new number. Since the hdd is now full of important informations, so it
is
wiser to make sure if the new number will improve the speed of the drive or
not first. and that's what i need help on.
Are there any problems using the hdd with informations differ from the
informations provided by the factory (slower...)?
My computer is e PentiumII 233Mhz, BIOS from Award (maindboard PC Partner),
BIOS date is 04/16/98
All comments are appreciated
   Thank you in advance.
Luan Nguyen