From:
Jorge Ocasio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 21:54:18 -0500
Alex,

When ever I am in the same situation, I do the following:

- I run the registration and check for some button that says, don't
register. If there is such a button your problems are over with the least
trouble.
- Otherwise, right click on the icon and choose properties.
- Record the location of the registration file the icon refers to.
- Using Windows Explorer ( I prefer Powerdesk, a much better file manager
but I digress ), go to that folder, locate the registry file.
- Rename that file; ex. Registry.exe to Registry.ex1.
- Restart the PC.
- Assuming the PC doesn't give you heartaches for not having that file,
enjoy you PC.
- If it does give you trouble, you can go back into Win explorer and rename
the file back its original name.
- If after a week or two without problems for not having that file, go back
to that folder and delete it.
- If you are short on space, you can then look for other files in the same
folder that may be associated with registration, ex. reg.dll or regxxx.xxx.
- follow the same procedure, rename them one at a time and operate you PC
for a while.

The above may seem like a pain since it's done over a long period of time
but I've never had a serious problem due to removing a file. I am certain
that the other members could give you other methods for doing what you want.

Jorge Ocasio

 > I have at least 3 little icons on my task bar that blink away and try to
make
 > me register software. I don't want to register, I've right clicked on them
 > and selected 'exit', or 'remind me later' and I've used a program which
 > allowed you disable some of those icons, but the ones I wanted to disable
 > weren't there. How do I get rid of these icons?
 >
 > Alex Onslow

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>