Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 20:26:54 -0500
Hi Carol,

You didn't indicate what these programs are and what happens, if anything,
when you attempt to run them. Many programs not designed for XP will run in
XP and some will not. Are there error messages? If so, what are they?

I assume, from what you said, that Windows XP Pro was installed as an
upgrade to Windows 98SE which would upgrade the operating system only and
retain the programs, settings, etc., from Win 98SE. In this instance, the
programs may not be designed for XP and may be incompatible.

Windows XP has a feature where you can attempt to run the programs in a
compatibility mode for Windows 98. This can be tried by going to C: \
Program Files in Windows Explorer, right clicking the programs executable
file and selecting "Properties". In the Properties window, click the
"Compatibility" tab and check the box "Run this program in compatibility
mode for:". Then, using the drop down menu, select "Windows 98 / Windows
Me". Click "OK", close Windows Explorer, restart the computer and attempt to
run the program.

Another possible solution is to check with the programs author or Web site
for an update or upgrade to the program that will allow it to run in XP.

Also, if XP was an upgrade and the 98SE installation was saved in case you
wanted to revert back to it, that option (in Add or Remove Programs in
Control Panel) may be available.

If the information in the programs justifies the effort you can save the
programs files (the entire installation folder), reinstall the program in
Win 98SE, then replace the entire folder with the one you saved.

When everything is said and done, with XP it's best to format the drive
using the NT Filing System (NTFS) and do a clean install after saving all
personal data. Upgrading Win 9x to XP is much less forgiving than upgrading
from one Win 9x to another Win 9x.

Good luck...
Sven Swanson, Sr.