From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 2009 15:24:31 -0800
On 2 Dec 2009 at 15:22, Diane wrote:

> *I'm planning on getting a new computer and want to get a good video
> graphics card for Flight Simulator X Deluxe.  I found a computer with
> an NVIDIA nForce MCP61 Chipset, but I don't know how much memory it
> has.  It was recommended that I get one with at least 1 GB of RAM.  It
> was also recommended that I get an NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GTX or above.
>
> Does anyone know about graphics cards?

  "nForce" is, I believe, nVidia's line of motherboard chipsets,
nothing to do with video.  I've had a couple of machines with
their chipset -- on one, I could never update to XP SP3 because
if they ever produced a compatible IDE driver, I couldn't find
it.
  On another, and also on a machine owed by a friend, the
onboard Ethernet died.

  In my book, that's three strikes.  I will not be buying
another systemwith an nForce chipset as long as I have any
choice.

  nVidia and ATI are the two main players still making Video
Graphics cards such as the GeForce series.  I've personally been
happy with both.  But I hear some people prefer one or the
other.  Your best bet might be to try to find a forum of Flight
Simulator players and see which they recommend.
  (I play Second Life, and I hear folks there recommending
nVidia despite three issues introduced by nVidia drivers in the
last year.  But those issues may relate ONLY to Second Life, so
they wouldn't affect you....)

David Gillett

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com