From:
Joe Lore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:00:51 -0500
Hi,

>PPGA CELERON:  300-700 MHz, FSB:66 MGz
>FCPGA PENTIUM III:   500-933 MHz, FSB:  100MHz, MHz, 133 MHz.."
>It further states "This mainboard has a Socket 370 which supports Celeron
>PPGA and FPGA Pentium III processors.  Do not try to install a Socket 7
>processor in the Socket 370.  A Socket 7 processor such as the Pentium
>MMX or the AMD K5/K6 does not fit in the Socket 370."

These were the specs that the Board would support at the time of it's
"release."
It is a Socket 370 board the supports certain Intel processors ( Celeron,
Pentium III)
From the sounds of the above, this was an early s370 board that came out
when socket 7
cpus were still common.

>I know when I ordered the computer, that I wanted an Intel Pentium III
>800Mhz with a 133 bus over the 100 bus speed.
>with the FCPGA, that would not be Intel, but just a Pentium III?  or am I
>confused over semantics?

You are confused over semantics. - This is an Intel processor based board.
the determination PPGA or FCPGA really mean which voltages the CPU's run at.

>Is the only way to upgrade this would be purchasing the 933 MHz?

933 would be the safest bet.  Since the board was released the 1 gig and
faster have come out you may be able to get a BIOS upgrade from the main
board manufacturer to allow faster than 933 CPU's to be installed.

There are also adapters on the market that allow FCPGA chips to be
installed in the PPGA sockets.
The adapters compensate for the voltages, but with out a BIOS upgrade may
not operate at full potential or read the CPU correctly.

I would dare say that you could not use FCPGA2 (greater than 1gig p3's or
celeron's - tulatin core's) cpus in this board though.

With new boards in the $60 range (for even P4 class CPU's), why fool around
with experimentation?

Thanks,

Joe

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: