From:
Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jun 2009 21:15:39 -0400
Thomas: Most MBs mount on metal standoffs that connect to
spots on the back of the MB and effectively ground it directly
to the case. I'm not sure metal is required, but I've only gotten
metal ones with my good cases for years.
I know the hard drive manufactures are much happier if the HD
frame is electrically bonded to the case.
That was in a White Paper I read years ago, I can't prove it,
and don't follow that one to the letter...
-------
Dean Kural and I have taken this Offlist as we agreed it was
getting a little too hard to PROPERLY discuss without an on-site
inspection.  Example: I bet not many of the list members know the
various code restrictions about how (and where) to properly bond
grounds various places (It is restricted!).
It is not cut and dried, or as simple as it would first seem.
I keep telling Dean (and here) I don't have the *expert*
credentials to keep discussing it here. (But I have extensive
personal experience doing this.)

Rick Glazier

----- Original Message ----- clipped
From: "Thomas Mayer"
> It is amazing how much play this discussion has had. To answer your
> specific question, I looked inside my case. Assuming that the hard
> drives, optical drives and floppy drives are internally insulated, it
> appears that the motherboard and other components are insulated from the
> case.

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads