From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 May 1999 21:58:14 -0600
At 04:14 PM 5/31/99 , Donna Doty wrote:
>I finally broke down and decided to build a new system, 2 megs of video
>RAM wasn't cuttin' it anymore.
>
>I decided on AMD K-6-III 450, ASUS PSA board, my 32 megs of SDRAM can be
>transferred along with my 2 G harddrive (temporarily).  I'm not into
>gaming or great sound so an ESS PCI sound card and a 770 (?) video card
>were suggested, reading the multitudes of reviews is making my head
>implode. I was told compatibility issues were very important here.
>Could someone recommend something known for it's ease, preferably 16
>megs?

If you are not using the video card for gaming or 3D graphic acceleration,
a 8mg or 4mg card is plenty.  I would suggest a STB, Diamond or ATI
video card.  All three in this range can be purchased for under $60 and
are very stable.  Compatiblity issues should not be of any concern.
Look at the ATI Expert@play 8mg card for about $53 at: http://www.buy.com
or the STB Velocity 128 4mg card for $63 at: http://www.buy.com.  I have
used both and the STB is a faster card with less memory.

One more thing I would mention, that is RAM memory.  The price of
ram, especially SDRAM PC100 memory has never been cheaper.  If
you intend to use a Microsoft operating system such as Win95/98/NT
then you should have at least 64mgs or even more.   The extra ram
will always insure your system runs fast and does not bog down.

   Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>