From:
Dan Shaughnessy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jul 1998 18:36:41 -0500
I recently upgraded to K6-2 based upon benchmark information found at
www.tomshardware.com .  The "real world" applications he used, showed a
slight degradation in performance from the K6 to the K6-2 in 2D mode.
However,  games and applications optimized for the k6-2 were as fast or
faster than a Pentium 300 or 333.  Since I play 3D games this was what sold
me.  Microsoft is including the 3D now instructions in DirectX 6, and Cyrix
will also be using them in future chips, so you can bet it won't belong
until more games become avialable.

As far as the price difference.  I think $230 is a bit extreme.  I've seen
the K6-2 and FIC motherboard combo advertised for $275.00 on the interenet,
so, unless you can get the other 2 for $45.00, you shouldn't be looking at
more than $125-150 difference, well worth it in the long run.  Of course if
you can wait a few weeks, rumor has it that the street price on a PII - 300
will be down to $210. early in August, and then you'll get the raw FPU
power.

Dan Shaughnessy