From:
Michael Eisenstadt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 08:19:01 -0600
I am trying to network between 2 computers.

One has a D-Link DFE-30TX NIC card installed
in PCI slot #1. This is on an Asus P2B board.
The OS is Win 98SE.

The other computer has onboard nVidia LAN.
This is an Asus A7N8X-X board. The OS
is Win XP Pro on one of its harddrives, the
other harddrive OS in this box is Win 98SE.
I can switch between harddrives by rebooting.

Both computers report "unconnected cable"
although there is a brand new cable connecting
the ethernet ports. In the D-Link diagnostic
test, the card tests pass for NIC register,
MII regester and EEPROM. The diagnostic
reports NO network connection.

I have tried different IRQs. Oddly the AGP
video card reassigns its IRQ to whatever
IRQ I choose for the D-Link card.

Also this Win 98SE drive is using FAT16.

My question: am I dealing with a software
configuration problem or is the brand new
CAT5e network cable defective or
incompatible?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you
might have.

Michael Eisenstadt

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml