From:
Glenn Josephson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 19:16:43 -0400
I'm not sure what you mean by "check itself". Does the disk light flas on
and off at what seems like regular interval, like very short flashes? If so,
this might actually be from the autoplay in Windows polling the CD-RW via
the IDE channel its on to see if a disc has been inserted. I've seen this
happen. The light blinking is not actually the HD. If it's other HD
activity, it's probably just normal Windows (I assume you're running
Windows) housekeeping routines. (resizing the swap file, etc.) Either way,
it's nothing to worry about.

Glenn
> Hi:
>
> I've got a Pentium 133hz, Gateway, 2 Gig hd, 56k modem (i think), 32M of
> Ram (i think).  The Hard Drive seems to 'check' itself even when the
> computer is in suspend.  It didn't used to do this before the people at
> Gateway serviced it after the modem died and they put in a CD-RW and
> replaced the modem.  Other than that the computer works well.  Is there an
> auto-defrag which might be on?

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com