From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 2010 10:32:44 -0800
Hi Bob,

Things to try in order (based on cost, cheapest to most expensive). With
this you can determine at what point it is no longer cost effective to
try and re-surrect it and just get a new system.

1.) Power supply. Just because the drives come up does not mean the
supply is good. The supply has different power rails and must supply a
completely different voltage for the CPU and memory. While looking at
your existing supply to determine replacement options, make sure that
all the power connectors to the MB are plugged in. Most P4 MB's require
an additional 4 pin ATX power connector, it is common for system
builders and DIY'ers to forget and leave this off.

2.) If a new supply doesn't fix the problem, then it is either the MB,
CPU or perhaps memory. If you can find the same model CPU, try that
next. An older P4 is probably fairly cheap to obtain.

3.) If a new CPU still doesn't fix it, then you are likely looking at a
new MB. There are newer processors now that are not compatible with the
older P4 processor form factors, so it may be difficult to find one
aside from used that will support the older P4. Anew MB will also likely
need different memory than you have now.

Good Luck!
Russ Poffenberger

On 1/7/2010 8:50 AM, bobwarasila wrote:

> I reseated everything and tried with the video card out.  The P4P800
> has integrated sound and video so I removed all boards + the burner
> and CD-Rom. Still no POST sounds or video.  I removed the front panel
> and discovered there is no onboard speaker in this box so I plugged in
> a speaker, still no POST sounds although I could hear some initial
> noise on the speaker as the computer powered up and again when it went
> down.  Last clue is that the CD-ROM light blinks when connected BUT
> when the CD-ROM and burner are unplugged the HD access light does not
> light.  I'm  guessing maybe the boot sequence in the CMOS is stalling
> with the CD-ROM at some point?  But I thought the POST happened before
> anything else happened so it's looking to me as if  something is wrong
> on the MB.  BTW someone tested the video card for me on another
> computer and that worked OK.  Perhaps I should just buy a replacement
> P4 MB since they're pretty cheap and go from there.
>
> I have a LINUX Knoppix disk so I tried that in the CD-ROM no luck:^(

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml