From:
James Maki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 14:37:20 +0000
This is really not germane to the original issue, but I just wanted
to add a note from personal experience. Once, while adding an ISA
modem to a computer, I needed to move the video card to a different
PCI slot to free up the outside connector of the "shared" PCI/ISA
slot. This caused the computer to try and re-initialize the video
card and caused me no end of problems. So while all PCI slots MAY be
created equal, at least in my system, they seem to be differentiated
in SOME manner.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim

> All of the slots of a particular type (IDE, PCI) are identical.  They are
> attached to the bus in exactly the same fashion with the exact same pinouts,
> hence the name "parallel bus".  Moving the card to a different slot will
> have no affect on anything. (There is a -slight- chance that a connector
> could be bad, but based on his problem description, I doubt it.)
>
> I believe his problem is that his modem is trying to use either COMM 1 or
> COMM 2 and he has not turned off the corresponding COMM port in the BIOS.
>
> If my guess is correct, then he needs to either change the modem to COMM 3
> or 4.  OR disable the appropriate COMM port in the BIOS.
>
> Jim Meagher

<snip>
Jim Maki

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**