From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 21:29:43 -0400
On Wednesday 14 August 2002 08:12 pm, JOHN G. CAKARS wrote:
> I received my Epson C40UX as part of my Dell Dimension 4400 order. I
> previously used the HP 820cse and HP 560c. The problem is that the
> cartridge for this printer holds hardly any ink. In the 4 months that my
> printer has been in operation, I have used 9 black cartridges and 3
> color. I print between 200-500 pages monthly, letters, stuff off the
> web, no photographs.
>
> I'm wondering if I should consider a laser printer. I would hate to give
> up the color. I am also considering an all-in-one unit. Does anyone on
> the list have any experience with such items?
>
> I have looked at CNET and PC World. But I find the information to be too
> brief.
>
> john g. cakars
> Albany, CA

John:
I've been using a Brother HL-1040 laser printer on my home PC for 3-1/2
years. It's reliable, fast (rated at 8 pages per minute), quiet, rarely jams,
and the print quality is excellent. Toner cartridges cost about $40 each at
Staples, and typically last about 9 months. (Of course, toner life depends
upon the number of copies printed; my usage is probably on the low side.)
Brother has replaced the HL-1040 with a newer model, the HL-1440; I've seen
it for about $300. Brother also makes a line of multi-purpose devices, and I
would expect that one of them is based on the same printer mechanism as the
HL-1440.

Two caveats: First, the toner cartridge that is shipped with new printers has
about 40% of the capacity of the replacement cartridges. Second, although
there is sufficient hard copy information included with the printer, the
manual is on a CD-ROM. Oh well, I suppose that's a good way to test the
printer :^).

Regards,
Carroll Grigsby

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: