From:
Walter McKinley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 04:07:50 -0500
I have been using one of those flat surge protectors that your monitor sets
on. It conveniently has all the power switches located in the front
(monitor, computer, printer, auxiliary, etc.). The directions state that you
can use these power switches to turn the peripherals on and off instead of
using the power switch on each device. That is what  I have been doing for
months. Am I risking damage to my power supply (230 watts) or worse...my
motherboard and processor? Should I be using the switches on each device
instead?

Thanks,

Walter McKinley

> If it can't cold boot into safe mode the first time then I might
> consider diagnosing the circuits.
> You mentioned the power switch doesn't work. Have you tried
> using a aux. device to switch off/on with ?
>
> If you've been powering the computer by plugging directly in, you will
> eventually damage the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply.
> Leaky capacitors can definitely cause this symptom.
> Have you tried a different power supply ?
>
> As an example, I had a customer's monitor which would never power
> up on the first try. This unit was subjected to surge damage from a
> large copier sharing the same outlet. I resoldered the capacitor's and
it's
> been 10 months since.
> hope this helps
> -yui shin