From:
Ken & Barbie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 09:49:59 -0400
Hello, this is a little more detailed discription of a problem
I'm having with a new system build, also the solutions I've tried.
System consists of the following:
Abit 55T31 oem mainboard, atx form
Ati 8mg pci expert 98 video
64mg nec 2clock pc100 ram
8.4gig WD cav. drive, format fat32
Supra Max pci modem
Creative Labs awe 64 sound, isa
Antec 780 desktop case
Award Bios using setup defaults?

Problem:
I am receiving random boot lock ups,
system goes through the post fine, reads
ram, accesses c:drive, when the system
begins to load and read startup files and
device drivers, it locks up, the drive light
flickers, and system runs in slow motion.
I then have to reset system to reboot which
dumps me into safe mode.
The system might boot fine 4 or 5 times,
then lock up 2 or 3 times,

Solutions I've tried:
Changed ram, started system without startup files,
started system ramdomly  selecting
device drivers, striped system dowm to
video card, ckecked to make sure mobo was
operational, checked power supply, loaded
cards one at a time and reboted after each.
The fact it seems random is what puzzles me.
Just when I think I have it fixed, same problem.
The fact the system gets past the post I beleive
tells me the hardware is ok, Hard drive is set at
LBA 4, The ram however is using setup defaults,
I'm not sure how to set the clock rate in the system
bios, but it is being read at startup without errors.
I was told that the board could use up to 64mb of
PC100 ram with the TX chipset.
Thanks for listening,
Ken Cornell

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: