From:
Bill Swingle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 1998 06:25:11 -0700
        I suspect you have a hardware conflict. I just fixed a computer for a woman
who installed (attempted) Win98. Her problem was when the install got to
it's final place where it reboots in the new operating system, it would
completely lock up. I narrowed the problem down to the hard drive. You
should be able to do the same by observing if you drive works fine in Safe
Mode. If it does, run the program MSCONFIG from the run line. Click on
advanced and select "Force compatibility mode disk access" or something
similiar. Then reboot and observe if your computer works properly. Your
computer will be significantly slower because it will be using a slower
access method of disk access. If this fixes the locking up problem then go
to your CMOS and try to find what is causing your conflict. For me it was a
selection in the Integrated Perh. section.  Selectively disable options and
testing your configuration should help you isolate the conflict.

Bill Swingle
Lompoc, CA