From:
Computer9f <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Aug 2009 17:49:41 -0400
Beginning with Vista (on "vista-ready" hardware), Microsoft (and other "cooperating" vendors) can locate your computer, turn your PC on whenever they wish and do whatever they wish with it, updates, upgrades, "inspect" everything you have on it, downgrades (disabling software features), deleting files, etc. and then turn it off again (or hibernate it, if that was how it was before). The only way you can prevent it is to physically unplug the computer.

I don't know whether  Microsoft would run defrag or not - that could be a configuration setting for off-hours defragging that activates when the PC is turned on.  If this is the case, you can change this setting to prevent the defrag, but if you are using a "vista-ready" machine, it will still be subject to being remotely powered-on, "inspected" and altered as long as it is plugged in.

AnnaSummers