From:
Joel Bluming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 01:24:27 -0400
Dear listers

FYI

After exchanging several defective Jaz 1gig discs with Iomega (very easy
and painless) I discovered that writing 250 megs of graphic files to
either disk caused a drive lockup (clicking and hourglass) when trying to
open one of these files in Photoshop.

I called Iomega FREE tech support for the Jaz drive and was given the
following information, which proved to be correct:

The drive was attached to a Pentium Pro machine via an Adaptec AHA2910B
SCSI card. This is a stripped down 2940 (with no BIOS or Ultra Wide). It
is a PCI fast scsi 2 card. The tech suggested that the Jaz requires a max
sync transfer rate of 10. Well the card does provide this. He also
suggested that there were some problems with the 2920 cards and the Jaz
drive. I also reviewed the Adaptec installation guide which lists several
factors including type and quality of cables, the use of 25 pin scsi
cables in the chain (as on the scsi ZIP) and PCIv2.0 compliance.

I don't want to list every detail, just convey that problems from scsi
cards are as likely as not the cause of many problems with Jaz drives

At any rate, I moved the Jaz drive to a 166MHz machine with an Adaptec
AHA-1522B scsi card and lo and behold it worked just fine.

I thought this might help in advance anyone with a Jaz problem. I read
that many of us have Zip and Jazx drives and there are some problems.
Iomega seems to get some bad press here. I just wanted to add that my
dealings with their tech support recently have been very positive and
easy

Joel Bluming

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]