From:
Dan Shaughnessy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Nov 1998 12:53:06 -0600
It depends on the type of games you play, and whether you want increased
windows performance.  The Banshee will improve your windows performance,
while the Voodoo2 only improves 3D performance.  However, the Voodoo2
can render 2 textures per pass, which makes it a better choice for games
like Quake and Unreal.  Generally the Banshee will perform as good or
better for DirectX games, and keep in mind that not all games are 3D,
and the Banshee is also a very good upgrade for 2D games and
applications.  It's also cheaper than the 12 MB Voodoo2 and allows
higher resoultions of game play.

Either card will work fine on a non PII system, however, you won't
realize their full potential until you upgrade your CPU.  They will
often be "waiting" for the next set of instructions, so deon't expect to
max out those framerates until you upgrade their as well.

www.tomshardware.com has more details, including benchmarks showing how
each of these cards compare to others on non PII machines, I'd recommend
checking that site out before investing.

Dan Shaughnessy