From:
Chris Louth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 22:03:55 -0700
OK. I jumped in just a few days ago.

Is the CATV attached in any way at all to the stereo system? IE, CATV ->
VCR -> receiver?

The thing is, Cable TV and AC do have differet grounds. I have had many
different things between my Cable and my PC (converter->vcr->stereo
decoder->receiver) and it still caused exactly the same problem. The
problem was not affected by anything except breaking the ground loop.
Here is what I tried that actually worked.

1. plug the PC into a non-grounded plug
2. disconnect PC from receiver
3. disconnect CATV or 'TV audio cable' from receiver
and, since all of the above are bad,
4. buy a 'Ground Breaker' for $10.50CDN from Commercial Electronics in
Vancouver, BC.

I am not suggesting that your CATV is actually attached directly to
anything, but if there is even the slightest type of link between CATV
and PC, you will get a ground loop. And no, it probably won't affect
your system. Even a fraction of a volt in potential will cause a
noticable hum.

If I am way off base, please let me know and I'll try to think of
something else for you. Could you tell me exactly how everything is
plugged into everything else? That would help, since (like I said) I
jumped into this thread recently.

--
Chris Louth - [log in to unmask] - Omegan Adept Dragon -=UDIC=-
ICQ UIN: 1553228          _\|/_  S'imr-Li on UO Pacific