Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 13:40:23 +1200
Hallelujah - the word is spreading.

Just a couple of points about Vopt.  The one that Larry refers to, VoptXP,
isn't just for WinXP.  I don't know why these guys designate their product
the way they do, because it's confusing.  The previous version was called
VoptME and that one wasn't just for WinME either.

So either version works fine in W98. (Can't comment on Win2K, NT or XP -
haven't used it with those OS's)

Another odd thing, and something which I've passed on to the Vopt people
(but which hasn't been addressed) is that very occasionally, Vopt will lock
up on some PC's.  Sometimes, in such a case, it'll run in Safe Mode.  Also,
there is a built-in configuration which you can select to reboot the PC and
have it run on startup after disabling other TSR stuff.

However, either alternative is a bit of a nuisance, so if this happens on a
PC, I fall back on the native defrag.  After several years of
experimentation, I've come to the conclusion that defragging isn't such a
big deal as it's sometimes made out to be.  In my experience, PC's can run
quite well in spite of sometimes huge amounts of fragmentation.

I'm not recommending people leave their machines in a state of
fragmentation - rather, don't bust your boiler to get your PC defragged and
kept that way.  Once every 6 or 12 months is probably OK.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand