From:
Steve Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 2002 14:43:47 -0400
Paul, you're not going to like this but the issue may be the copyright
protection on the CD's and (you guessed it) Windows.  I'm going to make
a LOT of assumptions here since you didn't mention the O/S or the CD
formats but I'll assume that it's Win98 and that the problem is
occurring on the same CD's.  We had a problem a while back with
inconsistent reading of CD's.  Sometimes it would work and sometimes it
wouldn't.  Since the customer was migrating to Win2k anyway, we loaded
the new O/S and tried again.  Guess what?  Perfect reading...every time.
We took the CD's back to a couple of different Win98 machines with
different CD peripherals (readers, burners, etc.) and the problem
started all over again on every one of them.  The problem was on one
manufacturer's CD (yes, every original copy from this software
manufacturer did the same thing).  Since the issue was unique, we filed
it away under "interesting information" but never pursued the issue any
further.  However, it was generally accepted among our group of misfits
that the root cause was the copyright protection that the software
developer was using and not the CD or the machine.

        Cheers,
        Steve