From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 22:12:58 -0500
On Monday, November 17, 2003 at 6:49 PM, Bob Zuccarello wrote:
>How do you change the programs that run ;when you start windows
>2000? In Win98, it was using msconfig but that function is not
>present in 2000. Can someone help as I want to minimize the
>programs loading at startup. Thanks

Hi Bob

Msconfig works in Win2K, it just doesn't come with it.

If you can get a copy of the file msconfig.sys from someone
who's running WinXP, you can put it in your Win2k Windows
folder. (Note: if you installed Win2k on top of another
version of windows, the windows folder will be named C:\winnt.)
You can download a copy of msconfig from
<http://www.perfectdrivers.com/local/msconfigxp/msconfig.exe>.
After you put the copy of msconfig.exe in your windows folder,
I'd suggest manually creating a shortcut for it and putting
that shortcut on your desktop... or in your Programs folder.

You might also check out Startup Control Panel...which is just
as good as Msconfig. Get for free at
<http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml>.

I have both of these installed on my Win2K systems and they
work fine. I also use two other utilities ("JV16 Powertools"
and "Startup Cop") which do the same thing, but they are no
longer free.

Note: Xteq Systems' "X-Setup" is also free and does everything
(and much much more) that all the above utilities do. You can
get X-Setup from <http://www.xteq.com/products/xset/index.html>.
It's not as easy to use as msconfig or Startup Control Panel.
because you can easily get lost in all the options.

Regards,
Bill

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml