From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 18:50:09 -0400
At 09:12 PM 07/14/2000 Anne Smith wrote:

>I have recently struck problems running IE5 and Netscape 4.07..... [I]f I
try
>to surf the internet, suddenly I get warning messages and the system
bombs. . .

>I have a Pentium100, running DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11, with 32 meg RAM. .
. .

Anne:

Assuming the new RAM is not the culprit... [Presumably, all your
applications would be equally problematic...]

The problem is probably caused by the older operating system on your
computer. Your browsers are running on DOS/Win3x and contentions may arise
while handling the latest HTML code and scripts because of lack of
comprehensive OS support (the requisite DLLs, executables, etc....).

Considering upgrading to Windows 98 and the latest, most stable versions of
IE and Netscape. Your current platform should be sufficient, albeit
leisurely. Pentium 100 and 32 MB RAM is acceptable.

Your computer's CPU is a candidate for upgrade. Dig out the motherboard
manual. You should be able to move up at least to a non-MMX 166MHz
processor (the minimum CPU tolerable to most Windows 9x users) perhaps
faster. Don't spend more than $50 (US); otherwise, an newer, faster AT
motherboard (with a later BIOS) and CPU combination makes more sense,
providing your RAM is able to migrate to the new platform and you don't
have a proprietary case.

If you want to upgrade, ask here; members have lots of good opinions. Just
describe your PC in detail.

If you rely on a lot of legacy software, you may wish to stay on DOS/Win3x.
You'll find that applications should be contemporary with the OS, and you
will probably have to upgrade your business apps along with Windows.  HTH.

Regards,

John Chin

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions