From:
Eric Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 18:59:55 -0500
The cartridges for my older HP 855C were moderately priced, but I was able
to get fairly long life out of them.  At least compared to my friends with
Epson, Cannon and Lexmark ink/bubble jets.  The only problem I ever had
with any of my HP's was that the rollers wear out too quickly.  I clean and
clean them to extend the life, but there comes a point when that doesn't do
much anymore.  I called HP to repair my 855 and they told me it would be
$125 plus shipping to replace the rollers!!  So I bought a new one for $149
and spent $30 on a 5 year service contract.  The cartridges for my new 812C
are cheaper and are supposed to last longer.

At work I have a LaserJet 5 which eats the toner cartridges, but has worked
in heavy use for three years and has never had a misfeed or a jam.

It sounds like I am bashing HP, which I am obviously not.  I just bought
another HP product.  The quality of their products far surpass that of
other similar products.  It's like just about everything else these
days.  HP is the best (IMO), but they don't make them like they used to.

At 08:42 AM 12/19/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Maybe we should talk about  printer life in "cartridges used"
>as opposed to a very "meaningless" time in use figure?
>I have an HP LJ 4-L going strong after five toner cartridges.
>It is almost six years old.  After about three or four years, HP sent me a
>coupon worth $50, or $100 for a replacement printer.
>I really have no complaints...
>            Rick Glazier
>
> > I have
> > experienced the same problems as Bob with my HP's (my last was the 855C)
> > wearing out in about 2-3 years.  They are great printers.  I wonder why HP
> > does that?  Maybe to sell a new printer every two years?  Nah!!
> > Eric
>
>                PCBUILD mailing list is brought to you by:
>                             The NOSPIN Group
>                   http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org

Eric