From:
Russell Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 13:05:08 -0600
>When I formatted I didn't type in
format c /s
only format c
and am not able to install windows 98

   A little lesson here on the format command:

   The whole issue of switches (the / followed by a letter) is confusing,
even to oldtimers who cut their teeth on DOS in the Stone Age of XTs. In
Windows installations it doesn't quite have the same effect. Windows
installation procedures takes over the drive after it is formatted and
places whatever system files that are needed for that OS. Thus the /S switch
is simply fluff and not needed for a drive that is being formatted prior to
an install. Since you typically have to boot with a floppy anyway to enable
the CD drive for an install of Windows then the bootable barebones C: drive
with system files is superfluous.

  FORMAT without any switches does a surface scan then a high-level format.
That is plenty to get the average drive ready for a clean install. Note you
must have a colon after the drive letter though:   Format C:   <press enter>

 If a drive has held data previously you can format it quickly:  Format C:
/Q

 If you want to do a low-level format with simultaneous surface scan then
use the Unconditional switch:   Format C: /U

 If you combine the /U with the /Q you can format it very quickly and
throughly:

    Format C: /U /Q

 The unconditional switch will kill any virus I have ever seen lurking on a
hard drive, even the old boot sector viruses. It works great to clean up
infected floppies also:

   Format A: /U /Q

   If you were unable to install Windows 98 after formatting the C drive
(even without a switch) it is because you have other issues. Can you do a
DIR command at the C: drive letter? Can you access the CD drive with your
boot disk? And last exactly why are you unable to install Windows 98? We
would need more details to help you.

All the best,

Russell Smith
Edtech Consultant, Journalist