From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 10:35:07 -0500
On Saturday 21 December 2002 04:33 pm, Susan S. Hays wrote:
> >Carroll Grigsby wrote:
>
> Have you been to the APC website (www.apcc.com)? They have an application
> that
> will help you determine the appropriate VA capacity for your equipment and
> situation, although 650VA seems about right to me for a simple SOHO desktop
> setup. You'll have enough time to save your data, and shut the system down.
>
> Does this model provide a means of connecting to your PC, either by USB or
> serial connection? This is an essential feature, as this allows the PC to
> automatically shut itself down in case the power should fail when you are
> away or otherwise occupied.>
>
> Hi Carroll:
> It states Interface port DB-9 RS-232 on the APC site.  What kind of port is
> that?  It is evidently not a USB or it would have said that.  Would this
> kind of port be okay?
>
> You stated that you had a Belkin.  Should I be looking there too?  Is it as
> good as the APC?
>
> Thanks for your input and advice.
>
> Thank you,
> Susan Hays

Susan:
Good, it has a serial port -- commonly known as COM1: and COM2:. If you have a
spare one, that's as good a way as any to do it. (And, BTW, the way that I do
it.) While USB is probably easier to connect and disconnect, I don't see that
as much of an advantage is this instance, since connecting the UPS is a
one-time event. You'll need a serial cable if one is not included in the
package. Before you buy one, check your computer to see whether it has a
9-pin or 25-pin connector so that you get the appropriate cable. (Most
computers provide two 9-pin connectors, but some older ones will have one of
each.)

As for the brand, APC is probably the premier UPS manufacturer and, in fact,
had been my first choice. However, at the time Belkin was offering a better
deal, so I spent a few hours checking them out on the web. They passed
muster, and so that's what I bought.

Sounds like a good deal to me.

Regards,
Carroll Grigsby