From:
Howard Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 2004 08:51:49 -0300
Have you tried to boot into your last known good configuration, sometimes
your hardware will return to working order.  You can also try deleting all
your sound devices and..  having your driver CD-RON available, restart your
machine and reinstall your sound hardware.  I have seen many times Windows
XP downloads a driver upgrade that doesn't work but the sound system still
seems to be functioning even though you don't hear any sound.  I never
upgrade a sound driver or a LAN driver if they are already working properly.
If these fixes fail, you can disable the onboard sound and install another
card.

Howard Rubin
The Computer Doctor
Fortaleza, Brazil

RE: Date:    Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:44:32 EST
From:    [log in to unmask]
Subject: lost sound

I have a Sony 1.7 GHz pentium running Windows XP home. Today while online I
noticed the sound was not working. It worked when I got online but stopped
working about 15 minutes later. I rebooted and still no sound. I tried new
speakers but still no sound. All the sound stuff in hardware properties say
it is
working and has no conflicts. When I try to play a sound with Windows Media
Player, it appears to be playing but no sound comes out of the speakers. I
also
tried plugging headphones into my speakers but no sound. I checked the
volume
controls and nothing is muted. Does anyone have any ideas what could be the
problem? If the sound went bad, could it still show up in as working
properly in
device manager? I'm stumped.

Gary South