From:
Chris Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Nov 2005 08:32:26 -0500
 -----Original Message-----

> Date:    Fri, 4 Nov 2005 18:04:42 -0500
> From:    GeneralStuff <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Scanners
>
>  I have an HP ScanJet 4200C.  Yes, its several years old.  I tried 4 new =
>
>  ones because I wanted the faster USB speed, and took them all back =
> because=20
>  either they were less controllable, took MANY more clicks to do simple=20
>  things, had few settable defaults, or the pictures (subjectively, to =
> me)=20
>  were not as good as this one and the software was horrendously=20
>  complicated and aggravating.  The process was actually slower than with =
> the=20
>
>  one I have by the time I actually got the item scanned, partly due to =
> the extra=20
>  selections that had to be made.
> =20
>  Since I reinstalled a clean copy of XP on my HP machine (not easy) and=20
>  reinstalled the scanner - with care, doing everything (software, when =
> to=20
>  plug in, etc.) in exactly the right order according to the instruction, =
>
>  my scanner seems to "lose" the driver everytime I turn the PC off.  I=20
>  reinstall the driver (I have tried it both unplugging the scanner from=20
>  the PC and not) and its fine. 20
> =20
>  I once tried a "updated" driver from the HP site, but I hated it - once =
>
>  again, more complicated, choices I did not want, etc..  I'm willing to=20
>  buy a new scanner, but I do pretty much the same thing every time I =
> scan=20
>  (best color photograph) and save as .jpg or in a .doc, and I want=20
>  something that doesn't take 5 clicks to do it.
> =20
>  When the "can't find scanner driver" comes up, if I click on=20
>  "troubleshooting" it says the scanner doesn't work under NT, but I was=20
>  running XP when I bought it and it worked fine.  It still works fine,=20
>  unless I turn off the machine.  Also, I believe the driver I'm using is =
>
>  one that HP said WOULD enable the scanner to work under XP.
> =20
>  Have any suggestions, guys?  OR, better yet, anyone know of a fast =
> scanner=20
>
>  that creates a great image AND has EASY software with settable =
> defaults?
> =20
>  Thanks,
>  AnnaSummers

--------------------------------

Anna, we used to use HP scanners at work and when the office network was
redone with new servers and pc's (client pc's using xppro) all of the
scanners had problems, even after d/l updated drivers from HP. As far as the
driver being 'lost', you may have a setting that you modified preventing
twain drivers from being loaded on startup. I don't know how committed to
the HP brand of scanners you are now, but one scanner that I use personally
is made by Canon. It happens to be an older FB630U (which I'm not sure is
available as 'new' anymore) but has a one botton setup. Once you make your
choice in a utility setup panel, you can have the button on the front of the
unit to do one of 4 or 5 presets. Mine is set to copy (as color, hi-res, and
sent to my printer) After placing document on the platen, I hit the button
on the front of the unit, it scans it and sends the image to the printer
with no further action on my part. Other choices are save, fax, e-mail plus
two other custom configurations. I'm not affiliated with Canon, but I am a
fan of them. The newer models are basically the same and as an added
benefit, many are very slim. (Mine stands less than 1 1/2 inches high which
is good for me as it sits on a lower shelf on my desk.) FWIW

Links to Canon scanners:

http://www.pcmag.com/products/0,,qn=Scanners+Canon,00.asp

http://computing.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/cp_115401_brand_canon.html

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategory