From:
"Maurice J. Reid" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 20:36:06 -0600
My MB just died on my computer with 98se OS. My wife felt sorry for me (all my tears helped) and bought me a birthday present of a Dell 2400 Pentium 4 2.66Ghz XP. My problem is that I have a lot of business applications (some of which are older DOS programs) on my 98 HD and I want to avoid the time and trouble of having to reload a lot of programs, folders and files on to the Dell. I have pulled the 98 HD (in fine operating condition) and installed it in an external drive kit, with a USB 2.0 connect to the Dell. The XP OS reads the external drive fine. My problem is, although an experienced 98 user, I'm very new to XP. Since the 98SE OS is already on the external HD, I would like to boot when needed from the external as a 98Se operation and bring up my old desktop that's contained thereon. My bios on the Dell only provides 2 boot choices, 1=the HD and 2=the CD drive. My question is can I set my bios to drop the CD option and use the external 98 HD, so I can manually select at start-up each time and if so will this screw things up as far as XP is concerned? I understand there may be an easier way where XP can give you the choice of which boot up OS you want, but I'm  unsure how to do this. Any help would be appreciated.

Maurice reid